Network modularity

I have been exploring recently the igraph (R) documentation, because I’m interested in calculating network modularities for undirected weighted graphs. Currently, I have that calculations done in Mathematica:

GraphAssortativity[G, FindGraphCommunities[G], 
   "Normalized" -> False]

Is there any way in which I can calculate this (or something similar) using the R implementation of igraph?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

R/igraph 1.3 does not support calculating assortativity without normalization. This feature has been implemented in the recently released C/igraph 0.10, and will be present in whichever R/igraph is based on that (1.4 or 2.0). Until then, you would need to implement this calculation from scratch, if you need it.

Thank you for your answer! It’s good that it will be avaible in the future. I will try to implement it from scratch, as you suggested.

I have tried to implement it from scratch using R/igraph. This is my code using a simple example:

edgelist = matrix(c(1,3, 2,1, 3,6, 4,6, 1,5, 5,4, 6,1), 
                  nrow=7, ncol=2, byrow=TRUE)  # Example edge list

G = igraph::graph_from_edgelist(edgelist) # Graph created

igraph::E(G)$weight = c(0.1, 0.2, 0.2, 0.15, 0.3, 0.3, 0.1) # Added weights

communities = c(1,1,2,2,2,2) # Example communities

m = igraph::gsize(G) # Total number of edges

k = igraph::strength(G) # Weighted degrees

delta = outer(communities, communities, FUN="==") # 1 if same community, else 0

w = igraph::as_adjacency_matrix(G, type="both", attr="weight", sparse=FALSE) # Weighted adjacency matrix

modularity = 1/(2*m) * sum((w - k %o% k / (2*m)) * delta) # Modularity

Using this code, I obtained Q = 0.0401, while in Mathematica and Python I obtained Q = 0.0741.

I tried the first equation that can be found in the NetworkX documentation. However, I haven’t obtained the same results.

Do you know why this R/igraph code gives a different result?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I’m sorry, I have to correct what I said above. The non-normalized “nominal” assortativity is actually the same as modularity, just as you show in your last post. So you can use modularity in R/igraph.

> modularity(G, communities, weights=E(G)$weight, directed = T)
[1] 0.09876543
> modularity(G, communities, weights=E(G)$weight, directed = F)
[1] 0.07407407

The default calculation is directed for directed graphs, which is what you have here. So use directed=F if you want undirected.

The assortativity implementation in C/igraph 0.10 which I mentioned does not actually support weights. So if you need weights, then you’d have to use modularity() anyway.

Comparison with Mathematica and IGraph/M:

In[352]:= 
edges = Partition[{1, 3, 2, 1, 3, 6, 4, 6, 1, 5, 5, 4, 6, 1}, 2];

In[353]:= weights = {0.1, 0.2, 0.2, 0.15, 0.3, 0.3, 0.1};

In[354]:= membership = {1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2};

In[355]:= 
g = Graph[Range[6], DirectedEdge @@@ edges, EdgeWeight -> weights];

In[356]:= communities = IGMembershipToPartitions[g, membership]
Out[356]= {{1, 2}, {3, 4, 5, 6}}

In[357]:= IGModularity[g, communities, DirectedEdges -> True]
Out[357]= 0.0987654

In[358]:= IGModularity[g, communities, DirectedEdges -> False]
Out[358]= 0.0740741

In[359]:= GraphAssortativity[g, communities, "Normalized" -> False]
Out[359]= 0.0987654

Regarding your code, the problems are:

• m should be the sum of weights
  • There’s a mix of directed an undirected concepts. k is undirected because mode='all' was the default. w is directed because the graph itself is directed.

Here’s an implementation of the directed version:

m = sum(E(G)$weight) # Total number of edges

kin = igraph::strength(G, mode='in') # Weighted degrees
kout = igraph::strength(G, mode='out') # Weighted degrees

w = igraph::as_adjacency_matrix(G, type="both", attr="weight", sparse=FALSE) # Weighted adjacency matrix

modularity = 1/m * sum((w - kin %o% kout / m) * delta) # Modularity

And undirected:

m = sum(E(G)$weight) # Total number of edges

kin = igraph::strength(G, mode='all') # Weighted degrees

w = igraph::as_adjacency_matrix(igraph::as.undirected(G), type="both", attr="weight", sparse=FALSE) # Weighted adjacency matrix

modularity = 1/(2*m) * sum((w - k %o% k / (2*m)) * delta) # Modularity
1 Like

Finally, just in case you were not aware, python-igraph is igraph’s Python interface and IGraph/M is its Mathematica interface. You can use much of the igraph functionality from those languages as well.

Thank you so much for your time and attention.

It’s weird, but I hadn’t found the modularity() function in the R/igraph documentation. It’s good that it’s implemented, it is very useful.

Thank you also for checking my code. I see the problems now. It has been valuable for me to learn, despite being implemented at the end.

Great job working on igraph, congratulations!

You can look for functions in the index: igraph R manual pages. The documentation does need some updates and editing, but modularity is mostly fine.