Installation failed due to "unable to access any URL"

Could anyone explain why this error is occuring and how to troubleshoot?
I am controlling my school’s computer remotely and installed R 4.1.3 from the package in the school’s computer.
This is my session info:

sessionInfo()
R version 4.1.3 (2022-03-10)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 19045)

Matrix products: default

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252 LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_4.1.3 tools_4.1.3 rstudioapi_0.15.0

This is the warning and error messages when I tried installing igraph:

You are using an old, unsupported version of R, for which CRAN does not provide binary packages. CRAN only supports the last two versions of R (currently 4.2 and 4.3). This affects all packages on CRAN, not just igraph.

I suggest upgrading to the latest R, which will make package installation much easier for you.

Is there a way to install it locally? Cuz my school requires everyone to use R 4.1.3.

I don’t use Windows so I can’t answer this. Why don’t you just try it? Some software can be installed without administrator access.

You might want to make your school aware that they are making it impossible to install any binary R packages, making R almost useless on their systems.

If you look at the CRAN page of any R packages that include binary components, you will see that these are available only for r-release (current version), r-oldrel (previous version) and sometimes r-devel (which will become the next version). For example:

You can still install these packages yourself, but then you need to compile them from sources and install all their dependencies. This requires some level of expert knowledge and can’t easily be done on Windows without administrator access.

In short, the only reasonable answer here is to contact your school’s IT department and request that they make the software you need for your work available to you.

1 Like

Is there source history for igraph where I can find even older version of igraph so that my R4.1.3 can use it?

As I said, to use older versions you need to compile them from source, for which you need to install the appropriate toolchain first. You will need administrator access to do this.

You’ll find older versions on CRAN (see “archive”). You can easily install them using the pak package (but compilation from source will be necessary).