Enumerating all the elementary circuits of a directed graph

Hello everyone,

This summer I was looking for an R package with a function returning all the elementary circuits of a directed graph but didn’t find any.

That’s why I eventually implemented an algorithm to perform this task (Johnson’s algorithm).

Do you think it would be useful to add such a function to the package igraph?

Best regards,

Olivier Givaudan

1 Like

Yes, contributions are absolutely welcome.

Basic algorithms are implemented in igraph’s C core. It would be a welcome addition there, if you are familiar with C.

I was wondering if you implemented it in R or in C.

For reference, I believe you mean this algorithm: https://epubs.siam.org/doi/abs/10.1137/0204007

It finds all simple cycles, i.e. closed paths with no repeating vertices.

In general, there can be a very large number of such cycles. The paper gives the count in a complete graph as:

Thus a useful implementation would make it possible to output only some of the cycles (either implement it as an iterator like in Python, or allow for a callback function to terminate the enumeration early, as with some existing functions)

I implemented it in R (I posted on purpose here in the R section).
I am familiar with C, although I didn’t code in this language for some years now.

Yes, indeed, I should have posted the exact reference.
I meant this algorithm, yes: Donald B. Johnson: Finding All the Elementary Circuits of a Directed Graph. SIAM Journal on Computing. Volumne 4, Nr. 1 (1975), pp. 77-84.
Another link to the article (for free, and legally): https://www.cs.tufts.edu/comp/150GA/homeworks/hw1/Johnson%2075.PDF

It relies on Tarjan’s algorithm to find the strongly connected components (as the elementary circuits are found within each of the strongly connected components):
Robert Tarjan: Depth-first search and linear graph algorithms. In: SIAM Journal on Computing. Volume 1, Nr. 2 (1972), pp. 146-160.
A link to the article (for free, and legally): https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Depth-First-Search-and-Linear-Graph-Algorithms-Tarjan/385742fffcf113656f0d3cf6c06ef95cb8439dc6

For my particular use I didn’t encounter performance/memory issues related to the number of elementary circuits (I typically have 1000+ vertices and 1000+ edges). So it was possible to output the complete list.
I agree there should be some restrictions for bigger graphs: on the length of the circuits perhaps?
[EDIT]: OK, that’s what is already done in igraph_cliques_callback.

So, what would be the next step?

As far as I am concerned, this would be a very welcome addition to igraph’s C core. If you would like to give it a go, the first step is to get familiar with igraph and its quirks: compile the development version and make sure you can compile small programs that use igraph. If you need help, feel free to ask (I suggest opening a new thread in the Development category). I’m sure you’ll have questions. There are also useful resources in the Wiki. Once you got started with the basics, you can open a PR against the develop branch on GitHub and we can provide guidance there as you are proceeding with the implementation.

Implementing it in C is of course going to be quite a bit more work than doing it in R, so you should feel no obligation to do it. However, if you do decide to try, this would be a welcome addition.

As for incorporating an existing R implementation into the R interface, I can’t really comment on that as I am not deeply involved with that interface. We are a bit short on resources, and short on R developers. To be frank, the first priority is to simply update the R interface to use the latest C core, and get a release out. This is already taking up a lot of time. While I think it would be a good addition, I can’t personally make it happen, and I am not sure we have the resources right now do deal with it. Of course, it is possible that another maintainer would step up and be willing to incorporate the R implementation—however, there has no been any response so far. Therefore, for the moment I would suggest publishing the R implementation as a separate package that depends on igraph (if you are looking to publish it). Once again, this is just my opinion, and I am saying it because we are really short on resources right now.

Many thanks, Szabolcs, for your detailed answer.

OK, let’s see how much available time I have in the next weeks/months.

1 Like